07 February 2009

Okocim Mocne

Fixing computers is thirsty work. So when Brian asked me to stop by and do some work on his, it was a given that I would be stopping off at the LCBO on my way over. As it turns out, this bottle represents the purest essance of Liquor Pig. I had never heard of nor seen this beer before, and I found its name rather intriguing. So out of complete curiosity I grabbed it and took it to Brian's to find out what it tasted like. As it turns out, Okocim is produced in Brzesko, Poland at one of the countries oldest breweries. Established in 1845 by Johann Evangelist Götz, the Okocim was nationalized in 1945 and once again privitized in the 1990s. Since 1996, it has been part of Carlsberg Breweries A/S. They currently make OK, Signature, Mocne, Porter, Karmi, Palone, and Zagłoba. Mochne is the medium malt beer they produce.

We were curious what this one was going to be like. In my experience, most eastern European beers are the most similar to Canadian beers in taste profile, and as such expected this one to be at the very least palatable. Brian, who is actually a big fan of Polish beer, also expected a decent glass of ale. Michelle, on the other hand, was the voice of dissent and expected this to be another vile concotion I brought over just so I could laugh at her trying to force it down. Alas, this was not to be the case. Okocim Mocne pours a golden-amber colour and has a crisp, refreshing flavour with little to no aftertaste. All three of us thoroughly enjoyed it and could easily imagine passing away a warm summer afternoon with a fridge stocked with this stuff. Hard to pronounce but easy to drink, Okocim Mocne will most definately be making another appearance in this man's refrigerator.

No comments: